Marilyn Reed, mother of Sarah Reed who died in HMP Holloway in 2016 said: “If Sarah had received the right care and support, rather than punishment, then she would still be alive. The whole system has to change so that other women don’t die.”
Key recommendations in the report:
- Redirect resources from criminal justice to welfare, health, housing and social care.
- Divert women away from the criminal justice system.
- Halt prison building and commit to an immediate reduction in the prison population.
- Review sentencing decisions and policy.
- An urgent review of the deaths of women following release from prison.
- Ensure access to justice and learning for bereaved families.
- Build a national oversight mechanism for implementing official recommendations.