Over the past six months, the Birmingham Social Inclusion Process, Giving Hope, Changing Lives, has been examining issues of social exclusion and inequality in the city, exploring the underlying causes and potential solutions.
The Barrow Cadbury Trust sits on the Social Inclusion Process’ Streering Group and has been able to feed in with policy and grassroots experience. The group, which is Chaired by Rt Revd David Urquhart, Bishop of Birmingham, has now published a Green Paper, Making Birmingham an Inclusive City.
Contributions and feedback from individuals and organisations are very welcome, with thoughts sought on a wide range of recommendations, including:
- Action to help socially excluded families
- Building a neighbourhood management approach
- Developing mentoring models for young people
- Preparing for welfare reform
- Developing welcome centres and do more to support new arrivals in the city
- Developing a “distinctly Birmingham” inclusive growth strategy